Friday, October 21, 2005

TMobile (USA) Minutes Used version 0.3

Thanks to help from "DevGuy", I think I have fixed the invalid GUID problem for firefox 1.5. My old GUID is one character too short. For some reason, Firefox pre-1.5 accepts GUID one character short.

I also fixed a problem with opening a new window. Now any new windows should display the same usage information.

I also fixed various performance and stability problems, given that TMobile's Web site is not stable and responds slowly intermittently. Timeouts were added to watch all the HTTP requests.

The new version is never officially published to the mozilla update site. You should download the latest version (0.4+) from Mozilla Update.

I have also got many requests to write a similar extension for other cell phone carriers. I would be happy to do that except I myself only has TMobile account. It's impossible for me to write and test the extensions for other cell phone accounts. Sorry about this, unless someone wants to share his/her account information with me temporarily.

For the same reason, I cannot figure out your TMobile text message usage because I currently don't subscribe to this service, unless someone with text message service wants to work with me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

0.3 still does not install on FF1.5RC2 without tweaking the file, I use nightly tester.

11/12/2005 1:40 PM  
Blogger Winston Huang said...

hmm, i tried it with 1.5beta2. it appeared that setting max version to 1.4.1 was sufficient. what have you tweaked it to?

maybe i will just change it to 1.5. the problem i ran into last time is the mozilla update web site didn't allow any version > 1.4, even 1.4.1

11/12/2005 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt rename the max version I just used the Nightly Tester Extension to install, everything seems to work great. There is no billing cycle listed, just "as of" date when mouse is hovered over it. I don't know if beta2 is different than RC2 thought it was the same??? Think you could get rid of the double click link to tmobile billing, for privacy? Anyways great extension!

11/13/2005 12:07 AM  
Blogger Winston Huang said...

billing cycle is still on my wish list.

the issue with accessing the billing page through double click comes up a lot. i don't think it's a privacy issue because when the extension is running, your browser is in the login state. i.e. if you manually go to the tmobile billing web site, you won't need a login either. so there is not much difference there.

11/13/2005 3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now using the 0.3 version with Firefox 1.5 with no problems. This is running much smoother than the last version.

I agree with Winston in that the double-click link is not a privacy issue...the extension was made to input the login variables already saved in the browser. If someone goes directly to the T-Mobile site, they would be able to log in from previously saved cookies anyway...

Thanks again for your time on this great extension Winston!

11/14/2005 5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank you for the great extension. I do agree that if someone went to tmobile site directly they could log in anyway, but it would give some of us piece of mind knowing that it would take someone that was intentionally wanting to view your info without the double click feature. Rather than someone accidently double clicking and stumbling upon it then deciding to view all of your info. I dont think it is so much a security issue because tmobile always asks for extra info before any account activity. But I do think it would be more private, by taking out the risk that someone stumbles upon it. I do like the feature, it makes it easy to view your bill, but I rather go through the extra hassle of typing in tmobile .com and at least rule out those that stumble upon it. Do you think it would be possible to add a checkbox option for this feature? Again thank you for the extension, I think it is a great one, and I think it is not hitting tmobile site so hard anymore, their site is only down every other hour instead of every half hour :)

11/16/2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger Winston Huang said...

ok, i got your point.

so you want an option to disable the double click and the right click option to go to tmobile billing site directly, but still maintained logged into tmobile's site (implicitly)?

i will put that on the feature list for the next release.

11/16/2005 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that would be great, I think many will appreciate it. Thank you.

11/16/2005 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home